Friday, July 23, 2010

Pita Bread


Pita Bread

Ingredients

    • 3 1/2 cups bread flour (plus extra for dusting)
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 packet dry active yeast
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • 1 teaspoon olive oil
    • 1 1/2 cups water

Directions

  1. Sift flour and salt together in a large bowl.
  2. Combine yeast, sugar and 1/3 cup very warm water-give a quick stir and set aside for 5 minutes to activate yeast.
  3. Make a well in the flour/salt mixture and add the yeast, 1 cup warm water and the olive oil.
  4. Gently stir to gather dough into a ball-you may need a touch more water-depending on where you live, altitude.
  5. Turn out and knead for 10 minutes.
  6. Put into a LIGHTLY greased large bowl, cover and place in a warm spot for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
  7. Punch down and knead to smooth.
  8. Cut dough into 12 pieces, form into rounds, roll out and place on a dusted baking sheet, cover and let rest for 45 minutes.
  9. Preheat oven to 500F degrees.
  10. I use my pizza stone for this part, so I place it in the oven and when really hot I place in two pitas and let bake for around 3 minutes-you can broil for 1 minute if you like, just to get the tops browned.
  11. I wrap the cooked pitas in a slightly damp tea towel for a minute or two-then cool and place in plastic bags.
  12. This process can also be done on a cooking sheet.
I changed the flour to whole wheat and mixed it in my Kitchenaid with the dough hook. It turned out so yummy! I cooked a few in the oven and put the rest in the fridge to save for later. They are better freshly cooked. I also tried frying them in oil alone and also with pizza filling inside and folded in half. It was as close to a Bambino that I have had in years!

1 comment:

Kara said...

YA! That sounds so good! Thanks for FINALLY posting something. :) Can't wait to try it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails