Friday, December 20, 2013

Mint Hot Cocoa Mix

I have been on a search for some REALLY GOOD homemade hot cocoa!  All the store-bought stuff tastes watered-down and a little blah.  I finally found one that I liked.  I did modify it a little though, because it was made with special dark cocoa.  We love dark chocolate, but my kids thought this was a little too bitter for their liking.  So I mixed it with some regular milk hot cocoa from the store.  Still good. :)

The great thing about this recipe, is you can make all different kinds of flavors.  We made a batch with mini chocolate chips instead of the mint ones, and we put them in cute little jars on the counter.  With the plain cocoa you could add in caramel topping, marshmallows, vanilla creamer, butterscotch chips, cinnamon chips, or even peanut butter!!

I always wanted a little hot cocoa bar during the winter!  I am going to have lots of little jars with some of the above ingredients in them to add in.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup special dark cocoa or regular cocoa
1/2 cup rich milk cocoa mix (We used Nestle in the red & gold can)
1 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp salt
*1 cup mint chips (green ones in the baking aisle), grind or blend up so there are no big chunks. 

The last batch I made, I didn't have the mint chips, so I used the red & white peppermint ones, a little different flavor, but still good.

*Substitute for mini chips if you are making regular flavor.

Mix everything together in a large bowl and pour into a jar or other storage container.

To serve:  1/4 cup cocoa mix with 1 cup hot water

Stay warm and enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails