Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Nutmeg Noels

#13

On the 13th day of Christmas treats… I couldn’t decide whether to do Snickerdoodles or Nutmeg Noels.  There is about a million Snickerdoodle recipes out there and I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone other than my mom making nutmeg cookies.  …… so I give to you Nutmeg Noels.  They are one of the easiest cookies to make and soooooo yummy, with the perfect amount of that nutmeg flavor.  It was one of our Christmas cookie staples when I was growing up!  

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp red or green sugar
1 1/2 Cup flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 tsp nutmeg (divided)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:

In small bowl, combine colored sugar and 1/4 tsp nutmeg, set aside.  To make colored sugar, combine food coloring (1 or 2 drops) to 2 Tbsp sugar until desired color.  Mix well.

Combine flour, sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and 1/4 tsp nutmeg.  Add margarine, egg and vanilla.  Beat at low speed until well mixed.  Roll into 1 inch balls.  Roll in colored nutmeg/sugar mixture.  Place on ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake at 400* for 10-12 min, or until lightly crackled on top. 
Makes about 40 cookies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you...found this through Pinterest. Lost the repcipe box I've had since 1977 and this is a recipe I hadn't made in a while but have always loved

Paleo Recipes said...

Great readinng your blog post

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails