Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pasta e Fagioli Soup

I have been wanting to make this recipe for awhile now, but the weather was too nice for soup.  Then yesterday it was cold and windy, so I thought I'd better hurry up and make it before I lose my chance!

This soup is really hearty, and spicy.  I put waaay too much pasta in it, but everyone liked it anyway, so it worked out. :)

Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
1 lb Italian sausage
1/2 - 1 onion, diced
1/2 - 1 cup celery, diced
1/2 - 1 cup matchstick carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans kidney or white beans, drained
4 cups chicken broth
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup small pasta (I put at least 2 cups in!)
1-2 cups baby spinach, chopped (optional)
freshly grated parmesan cheese, garnish (optional)

Directions:
Heat olive oil in large soup pot over medium heat.  Add onion, celery and carrots.  Saute for a few minutes until onions are translucent. 

Add sausage and cook until browned and crumbled.  Add garlic and chicken broth.  Pour tomatoes and their juices into the pot.  Drain the beans and add to soup along with the seasonings. 

Simmer partially covered for 1-2 hrs.  When almost ready to serve, bring soup to boil and add in the pasta.  Cook until noodles are soft.  Add more seasonings if necessary.  Add spinach if you want. (I didn't, and it was still excellent!)

Serve with parmesan cheese.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails