Friday, September 21, 2012

Slowcooker Spaghetti Sauce

It's that time of year again when I get completely smothered in TOMATOES!!  I am the only one in my house that even likes them, which is just sad really.  They are sooo good! 

A couple of years ago, I decided to try to can spaghetti sauce with all my extra tomatoes.  (My first ever experience with canning.)  It worked out so good that I now plant extra tomatoes and onions just so I can do lots of sauce! My family really loves this recipe - but sometimes we mix it with a can of store-bought sauce, too.   

I love the fact that I made it myself (yay me!), it's great for storage - and it smells so good while it's cooking.

Ingredients:
2 TBS canola oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 green pepper, diced

4 cups chopped tomatoes (I blend mine so they aren't so chunky)
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp basil
1 TBS parsley
1 TBS sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Directions:
Add oil to bottom of slowcooker or large saucepan.  Add onion, garlic and green pepper.  Saute until onion is transparent.

Add chopped tomatoes, paste and spices, stir until combined.

Cook on low about 4 hrs.

Serve, or pour into jars to can.  (You can also freeze this recipe, just make sure to leave room at the top of the jar for expansion.)


Serves: 8

note:  I usually double the recipe, and have 2 slowcookers going at once.  Usually I get about 3 quart-size jars full from a double batch.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails