Friday, November 29, 2013

Coconut Cream Pie

 
This is seriously THE BEST coconut cream pie recipe around, and let me tell you why:
1.  No cooking and stirring (in my case burning).
2.  It's thick and rich.
3.  It's easy!
4.  It tastes like you spent all day making it.

I made this for Thanksgiving, and I was a little nervous because I had never even tried the recipe before.  The only thing that went wrong was that I tried to use the roll-out crusts, and they kind of shrunk in the pans, (because I don't know what I'm doing) so I had to run out and buy frozen ones. Lesson learned. haha :)

However, I got lots of compliments on it and my SIL even said, "This is definitely not a pudding pie".
It does have pudding in it, but it's really rich - it tastes more like a cheesecake.  YUMMY!

For the crust:  You can use a graham cracker crust, or make your own flaky, flour crust if you are talented like that.  The frozen ones aren't that great, but the filling made up for it.  :)

I doubled the filling ingredients to make 2 pies, and I used the 9" deep dish - perfect!

Filling Ingredients: 
1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 cup cream of coconut (non-alcoholic, found in the drink mixer section)
1 (3.4 oz) pkg. coconut cream instant pudding mix
1 (6 oz) pkg. sweetened, flaked coconut.  (toast some to mix in, and also to sprinkle on top)
2 (8 oz) tubs frozen whipped topping, thawed (one is for the top of the pie, or you can make your own)

Directions:
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and cream of coconut until smooth.  Add pudding mix, blend well.

Stir in coconut until combined and then fold in whipped topping.

Pour into cooled pie crusts.

Spread the second container of whipped topping over the filling, or put into pastry bag and squeeze like you do cupcakes. 

Toast a little coconut in a 400* oven for 3-5 minutes - watch carefully so it doesn't burn! Sprinkle over the top of the pie - BEAUTIFUL!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails